Monday, November 22, 2010

Adding another hard drive to my computer - Can I install programs to my new one?

Hey I have a ide 250gb Hard Drive and was going to get another one. I know to set it to slave before installing it to my computer, after that will it show up in 'my computer'?



I have a few others questions too (answer what you know thanks heaps)

- To install programs to my slave/new hard drive, Do i just change the installation path when i am installing the program?

- Will installing a program on my new hard drive (The one i have now has 104gb left) make the program run any faster/slower?

- Will my computer/the programs run any faster?

- If I set my virtual memory to run on my new hard drive which will have most of it free space will it run faster than setting virtual memory on my current hard drive? and what should i set the virtual memory to be (I have 1.5gb Ram)



Final question, Can i install lets say ubuntu on my new hard drive and if so do I set it as slave or master? And how can I choose what OS to boot up at?



Sorry about all the questions but just answer what you can. Thanks!Adding another hard drive to my computer - Can I install programs to my new one?
Once your new hard drive shows up on ';My Computer'; identify the drive letter.



-- To install new programs on the new drive, just change the installation path to this drive, when you install new programs.

-- I dont think the program will run faster, unless the new hard disk itself is faster. If the new hard drive's read/write cycle time, rotation speeds are faster, it may make a difference.

-- Again setting virtual memory on the new drive will not make it any faster unless the reason is hardware specific as mentioned in previous point.

I dont know about your last question.Adding another hard drive to my computer - Can I install programs to my new one?
- yes you just need to change the installation path and the program will be installed on your new hard drive



- the program / computer will not run any faster or slower whichever hard drive you choose. this matter is affected by your cpu and ram speeds. however a full hd will have an effect on your virtual memory which may slow down your system.
Your new hard drive should be the same as your old one, so anything you can do wioth your old hard drive can be done with the new one.



As for Ubuntu, with all Linux distros, there is an option to install a boot loader, either GRUB or LILO. A boot loader is a splash that shows up when you boot your computer, allowing you to select the desired operating system with arrow keys.
since you have a 250 gb harddisk, it would be better if you shift your datas to your new drive and gain some free space and install the programs in the same drive. since your OS will be in you older drive, the performance will definitely better if you install in the same drive.



about your next question, as others have also already answered, yeah you can install ubuntu or any other Linux operating systems in that drive. you'll get a boot menu when u start your computer and u can just switch to any OS you wish.
1. yes

2.yes

3.a bit slower it has to look for the program over a larger area

4. no

5.no

6. letwindows set itsself

No comments:

Post a Comment