Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Is it better to have virtual memory on a slave drive?

I just installed a second HD on my computer. Would it increase performance to have my page file on that drive? If so how do I change that? I only have 512 of RAM so I'm looking to increase performance.Is it better to have virtual memory on a slave drive?
I've done it both ways, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.Is it better to have virtual memory on a slave drive?
It really depends on what you're using it for. If the second drive is just for data, has the right file system on it (NTFS), and is a fast drive, then I'd say go for it, although keep another swapfile on your current drive, too. The easiest way to remember is that a computer is only as fast as its slowest part, so if that second HDD is up to scratch, you'll be fine. It's how I have mine.



The techy bit: This works well because effectively you have TWO disks going, meaning that you have TWO read heads, instead of only one performing queued seek actions. It's always mkore efficient than one if done correctly.



Don't count on a massive increase though, it depends how you use it.



(I'm assuming you're using Windows XP)

To change it, you need to go into your control panel to ';system';, and choose ';advanced';, then ';performance'; then ';advanced'; then ';change';. You'll see some options available to you. If you change the amounts, make sure you use a decent amount, the rule I was told is 1.5 times your RAM (which would be 768MB), but it's up to you.

If you see no change, just change the option back to ';allow windows to manage...';, and you'll be at no loss.
  • Soiled Bed Sheets
  • how can i save my money
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment