Saturday, November 20, 2010

Memory swap: could someone please explain this to me?

I have an apple powerbook g4 with tiger 10.4.6. I also have Istat Nano, a program to see how your computer is running. In the memory section there is a part that says ';Swap'; then it lists a certain number of megabytes. I was just curious what this is and why sometime's it list 1.5 gb when I only have 768mg of RAM. Obviously it is digging into the virtual memory making my computer slower? How is the number calculated? Does it change often? Thank youMemory swap: could someone please explain this to me?
A swap is a file located on your hard-drive, which IS the virtual memory. It acts as a storage place for memory when it is not in use. The size of the swap file is generally increased depending on the need for memory.
  • bird
  • high school next year
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment