Saturday, November 20, 2010

Total paging file size (virtual memory) won't keep its settings.?

I have a dell xps 400 running on windows xp. I started having problems where programs would shut themselves down or portions of my programs wouldn't run. Then it started telling me I didn't have enough virtual memory.



I checked the virtual memory. It was set on system managed size, but would never allocate itself more than the 1553 mb that were recommended. I changed it to custom size, with a minimum of 2500 mb and a maximum of 3500 mb.



This works great and fixed all my problems, only now when I reboot my computer it changes itself back to system managed size with 1553 mb. Anyone know how to fix this???Total paging file size (virtual memory) won't keep its settings.?
That 1553 is what the computer uses normally. It will always stay at that number if the computer stays the same. Increasing the number doesn't really change what the computer will use, it will just allow that allocated memory to be used if say your computer starts using a lot of resources. If the setting sticks and your computer is running better you should not worry about it.



If it resets back to the old setting after you reboot then it means your CMOS battery is failing.Total paging file size (virtual memory) won't keep its settings.?
oh yes good ol dell
Click the 'SET' button on the screen of the virt. mem. settings before you click 'OK'. This button is positioned right next to the min/max values you set for the virtual memory.
You have to remember to press the [set] button. I had a friend do that. If that doesn't work you may have to do a reinstall XP



I checked Microsoft's knowledge base and came up with nothing on this issue. But that's not saying much.



Also as a recommendation set the minimum and maximum size to the same thing. This prevents addition and removal of ';allocated'; space and that cuts down on writing overall.
I have a Dell, but I never had that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment