Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What should I set my virtual memory at?

My PC states I have 1.68GHz, 192 MB of RAM. The recommended setting is 286MB. It is currently set at 391MB but I still keep getting error messages saying there is insufficient virtual memory. I know how to change it, just don't know what amount I should input.What should I set my virtual memory at?
The usual convention is to set it at 1.5 to 2 times your total system RAM, or 288 to 384MB for your system. The problem is that you have too little physical RAM to begin with, and the 1.5 to 2 convention kind of falls apart in those situations.



I'd recommend upgrading your system RAM, preferably to at least 512MB for Windows XP, and then letting Windows manage your virtual memory (or page file as XP calls it). Virtual memory is only really used once physical memory is full, so adding more physical memory reduces the system's need to use virtual memory. Avoiding multi-tasking is another way to minimize the use of virtual memory.What should I set my virtual memory at?
Set it to 512MB.
If you have enough free space on your hard drive, set it to 4000 minimum and 6000 maximum. Its easy to set it a bit high and it wont hurt a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment